Success Magazine - October 23, 2015"On the Bright Side: Groundbreaking Workshop Gives Area Teachers New Tools"
The Daily Star - January 24, 2016
- 36 million adults in the US struggle with literacy
- 15 million under the age of 18 struggle with literacy
- Family history increases chances
- 40% of children who are unable to read by the 4th grade will be on welfare at some point in their life.
- 80% of the juvenile justice system have learning disabilities
- 80% of high school dropouts have a learning disability
- 50-80% of prison inmates are dyslexic
- #1 killer of children is suicide - 80% of notes left behind are full of spelling errors
TEDx Talk: "Using Science to Challenge Conventional Misconceptions of Likely Causes & Possible Outcomes for Individuals with Dyslexia or LD."
TEDx Talk - December 4, 2015
I came to learn strategies to help my students with learning differences and have learned strategies to help all my students. First providing concrete examples, then moving to the abstract.
After being an educator for over 20 years, it was very astounding to learn some of the multisensory strategies with the reasoning behind the math concepts. I wish I had learned this in my undergraduate and graduate programs!